A labour expert is calling on Government to postpone the upcoming second National Land Conference to allow the state to engage white farmers, on remedies to share land, as well as seek deeper insight on the plight of blacks disposed of land. The upcoming second Land Conference, which was postponed on two occasions, will be a mockery and could spell civil unrest, due to the exclusion of the plight of those directly disposed of land, he added. This is according to President of the Namibia National Labour Organisation (NANLO) Evilastus Kaaronda who made the plea during a media briefing on the state of the economy today. He says, to date, he is not aware of any meaningful consultations by Government with white farmers of foreign landlords and those blacks disposed of land through colonialism – which reflects a lack of political will in resolving the issue. Kaaronda, flanked by fellow unionists, says it is meaningless to attract large scores of landless black majority to regional consultations on land reform, which white minority or foreign land owners who own vast commercial farms land hardly attend. The unionist also says criticised the ruling elite of having sold out the struggle for political and economic freedom, by compromising the ownership of property rights, prior to Independence in 1990. It is against this background, that the majority of Namibians wallow in poverty, joblessness, hunger, with no prospect of a bright future. Government has so far managed to buy 520 farms on which roughly 5 338 families have been resettled which is far cry from the envisaged plan to resettle 243 000 families.
Sydney
29
℃
November 29, 2025
