Walvisbay-Kalie Pretorius participated in his first Total Tara Rally at a tender age in 1969. Since then, Pretorius has competed in more than twenty Tara rallies, and this year he will once again oil his engine and take part in the 50th edition of one of the toughest rallies on the African content. Sixty-nine-year old Pretorius, who lives in Swakopmund, spoke to NBC sport about his love for rallying and his first ever Tara Rally, back in the day. “In 1969, me and my elder brother entered for the Tara in 1969 with a TKW, specially service with two strike plugs and down the desert suddenly one piston a hole in. A couple of miles further on second piston a hole in. We stopped in front of the Gamsberg Pass and could not go up. We had to wait for a rescue team to go and get us” Pretorius said. Pretorius also explained why it is essential to him to participate in the 50th Tara Rally. “Just like the 40th rally, I just want to enter it, because it is the 40th and this one is the 50th and i am still healthy enough. My doctor said it’s ok to carry on. I felt if the change is there I’ll do it. The change came, I got a sponsor for the vehicle and busy preparing the car to see what it can do”he added. Pretorius also revealed what car he will be driving, and had some advice for the other participants of the 50th Tara Rally. As far as I know, there is no extra modifications done on this car. It has a standard engine put in three weeks ago, because the previous one had a hole in the block. As far as I know, it is just a standard vehicle. Enjoy the Rally, don’t eat too much dust and follow it as far as you can” he concluded.
Sydney
29
℃
November 30, 2025
